Your body has skin cells called melanocytes and these cells produce melanin, which determines the color of your skin. Melanocytes can grow in clumps, producing a mole. Nearly everyone can have between 10 and 40 moles and they can be many different colors or textures, but they are usually less than 6 millimeters in diameter.
Mole Removal in Colorado Springs, CO
Moles can be an early sign of skin cancers like melanoma, and melanoma can be fatal. This is why you should do a self-exam periodically. According to the Mayo Clinic, there are signs to look for, including:
- An asymmetrical shape
- An irregular border
- A change in color
- A diameter larger than 6 millimeters
- A change in shape, color, size or height
You should see your dermatologist at Academy Dermatology and Laser Center if you have a mole that is:
- Showing any of the signs listed above
- Burning or itching
- Bleeding or oozing
- Growing back after a previous removal
- New and you are over 30 years old
Academy Dermatology and Laser Center is located in Colorado Springs, CO. Our team offers a full range of skin services including mole removal. Your dermatologist may recommend:
- A surgical shave of your mole-- your dermatologist will numb the area and cut around the mole and underneath it. Shaving is often used for smaller moles and no suturing is required.
- A surgical excision of your mole-- your dermatologist will numb the area and cut out the mole with a punching instrument. Surgical excision requires sutures.